Friday 9 January 2009

Cosy & Comfortable Room Designing

Designing a Room?............Think Comfort First.

As a designer I am regularly inspired and drawn to lots of different textures, patterns and ideas and it's often hard to make a decision about what colour and idea to go with when I'm designing a room. I always visualise the type of room I see in magazines and forget that actually I have to live in the impractical place I want to create. However, the one thing I try to keep in mind is a bit of wisdom I heard some years ago.

In order to love and really live in a room you have to feel comfortable.

The key to this is to design the room from the onset as how you visualize yourself living in it. Imagine, cushions, throws, fabrics, drapes. Look at where the sun comes in and what time and how that works with the way you use your room and where to position furniture, lamps and mirrors. Chose colours that will create the feel you are after. If you want to feel awake and fresh then look at subtle blues and greens, if the room is going to be a cosy hideaway that you want to slump into in the evening then find inspiration from burgundy reds and purples.

Before I start any project I collect together all sorts of bits and pieces that I find inspirational and create a simple mood board to collect my thoughts. It doesn't have to be a work of art, just an ideas board of pictures from magazines, samples of fabric and paints that you can make notes of your thoughts on so you can really see how your idea will come together. (It's also handy to carry with you when choosing paints, wallpaper and furnishings).

Hope this helps, if you want any help or advise then please feel free to get in touch and let me know how you get on.

All my love

Kati x

No comments:

Post a Comment